Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 32

My friend Victoria proposed an interesting experiment. When I want to keep eating after I feel like I've had enough -- i.e., my stomach feels satisfied and/or my mind is telling me that is enough food for now -- stop for a few minutes of meditation. I was thinking stop for 5 minutes, but she suggested starting with 2. And of course she is right; I need to make it doable or I won't even try. I also need to tell myself that I can continue eating afterwards if I still wish to. It is not a trick to stop eating; it is simply a check-in with myself.

So today that will be my commitment. Just for today, I will pause for 2 minutes of meditation if I want to eat more after feeling that I have had enough.

It's so funny how thoughts work. This is really self-discipline -- a word that makes me want to rebel. But calling it an experiment makes it entirely possible. Dr. Richard Rubin first taught me about experiments when helping me test my blood sugars more frequently years ago. A simple twist on the words we use, and an entirely different idea about it springs to mind. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment