Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day 30

I have just discovered xylitol. How has this natural sweetener, with a low glycemic index and certain actual health benefits, not popped up on my radar before? It has been used in Europe for decades. Are the sugar and artificial sweetener industries in America so big and powerful that xylitol couldn't get in until recently? Perhaps not, but sometimes I like to have a bad guy to blame. =)

It happened yesterday. Cheesecake Factory was closed for a plumbing problem (has this ever happened before?) so we went to Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville across the street. I had planned out my meal at CF, even down to the Splenda-sweetened cheesecake for dessert. Switching restaurants threw me off and I ate my entire veggie burger and onion rings. More than I needed. I thought about my stomach being full but kept munching anyway. Adapting well to change will be my goal for next year.

So walking home, we decided to check out the Farmer's Market at King's Village. And that was when I spotted the sugar-free desserts. Muffins, small loaves of fruit bread, and butter mochi. I LOVE butter mochi. When the vendor explained about the xylitol that sweetens these desserts, I of course had to try the coconut and chocolate mochi as well. And I ate all three large pieces. This is another thing to ponder: what does it represent about my life that when I see something new to eat, I want to try everything? Just the first time around; next time I will probably be able to choose just one.

My blood sugar remained low all evening. The low glycemic index in xylitol is indeed true. However, I woke up at 4am with an extraordinarily high blood sugar. No doubt because of all the fat I consumed in my meal and desserts, which takes a long time to process in my body. Still, I am excited about the discovery of this sweetener!!! Moderation, Linda, moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment