Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 46

The key is to connect deeply with my body. If I have that connection, I will eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. I experienced a beautiful feeling of friendship with my stomach at the Geneen Roth retreat last year. After a week of body work and meditation, I put my hand on my stomach and had the thought "you are my friend." For 2 months I was able to listen to the needs of my stomach, not my mouth. I went into a convenience store where I was assaulted with snack foods and sweets everywhere. I immediately wanted a brownie, but I asked my stomach if that was okay and got the clear message "No, I'm full. I don't need anything." This will sound bizarre to anyone unhampered by food issues. Anyway, I listened to my stomach instead of my mouth or mind or habit or whatever wanted the chocolate treat. So the key is a relationship with my body in which respect and honor are paramount. Food for thought and meditation. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment