Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 1

I love sweets. And I am not that fond of commitments. I prefer to hang out in the flow of one day at a time. So what am I thinking? I am thinking that it is time to give up sugar. To focus on one thing for one year. To challenge myself to this huge change in my eating habits.

I like this idea of a challenge. It excites me. It takes me out of myself and the same ol', same ol'. I've stopped eating sugar for short periods of time -- a week, 30 days -- but one year? Yowee!! Am I nuts? This feels bigger than anything I've ever done. I think it is the biggest commitment I've ever made in my life.

But the time has come. My health is in my own hands. My 35 years of diabetes has blessed me with good health up until now. I can't risk that changing. And I want my energy back. I want to feel the zing and zest of life in every moment. I don't want the sluggishness of sugar in my system. I want to wake up feeling fully alive every morning.

My friend, Andrea, ate half of a one-inch piece of chocolate and handed me the rest. That was all the sugar she could take. Compare that to me eating a box of See's candies in one sitting. I want to be the one, at the end of this year, eating a snip of chocolate and handing off the rest to someone else. Willingly. I want to experience the full sweetness of life. Period. From the inside out. No sugar for one year. Yes, I can. I feel the excitement welling up inside. Here goes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment